TBC's Top Art Basel Miami 2014 Picks
With three days worth of events, galleries, and exhibits to navigate through, a guide of the top events is basically a requirement during Art Basel. Of course you can wander the city on your own and stop by the exhibition halls located at the Miami Beach Convention Center, but you’ll be missing out on some of the finest events throughout Miami Beach. Luckily, from the events that have been released so far, we’ve come up with a pretty solid list of the hottest must-sees:
1. Perrier Jouet is set to launch a new collaboration with Vienna-based art duo mischer’traxler (you read that correctly) titled “Small Discoveries.” On view at Design Miami this contemporary piece promises to explore “the magical dialogue between nature and mankind, and to stimulate curiosity of the individual through several designed pieces,” according to Perrier-Jouët. December 2-6
2. Hosted aboard the Seafair—the mega-yacht docket at Bayfront Park—a new fair concept literally called “Concept” will present sophisticated pieces for collectors seeking an aquatic escape during Art Basel. December 3-7
3. Hotel time machine, the Gale South Beach & Regent Hotel, known for its retro-chic yet modern aesthetic, will have a special installment of Disaronno Terrace Art. Featuring a live performance by surprise DJ while guests sip on Disaronno’s signature cocktails. December 4
4. Harper’s Bazaar will host a breakfast for all of the beautiful people of South Beach for the third year. December 2
5. The Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) will be hosting a variety of exhibitions and events during Miami Art Week & Art Basel, but we’ve got our eye on one event in particular. Celebrating PAMM’s one-year anniversary, the museum plans on having an “immersive evening of music and visuals featuring the first U.S. performance by Future Brown with live vocals.” December 4
6. YoungArts & III Points are teaming up yet again for a doubleheader event starring James Blake and FKA Twigs. This is one we definitely don’t want to miss. December 5 at the National YoungArts Campus
7. Located in the garden behind The Delano on South Beach, Bally will unveil a unique house designed by Jean Prouve and Pierre Jeanneret. The house will be used for an art installation called “Triangle Walks” featuring works from big-name artists and selected pieces of modernist furniture Bally is famous for.
8. The latest South Beach hotel you’ve had your eye on, The Thompson Miami Beach, will open just in time for Art Basel. There will be a “super-private” dinner and afterparty hosted by Roger DuBois and Dom Perignon. December 3
We’ll be keeping an eye on what others have in store for the artsy week in December, so check back for updates. You might see an event of our own on the list.